Thursday, August 9, 2007

The Wedding

The string quartet played Haydn as we walked across the lawn and up the stairs to the Temple of Echos, a 18th century building in Hagaparken, Stockholm. I was a feeling that I could never have imagined. The judged who was handling the ceremony started to talk. My brother had been right. He was a dry man, a very dry man. But, he did his job so no complaints! The string quartet played "Fjariln vingad syns pa Haga" (reference mostly for the swedish readers) and I, together with a few others, got a tear or two in the corner of the eye. After that was the time for the "I do's". I couldn't hear any hesitation in Yarden's voice and I doubt he heard any in mine. Finally a poem that Shoshan read and then a typical Swedish wedding march was played while we walked down the stairs under a rain of rice. Champagne was then served on the lawn and a few cigars were smoked.









We then walked down to the water where a boat was waiting to take Yarden and I to the restaurant where the dinner was being held. It couldn't have been better! Got both beautiful views and some speed. The bride even got to drive the boat for a while! When we reached the pier everyone was waiting for us with a glass of bubbly in their hands, it felt almost surreal.









The dinner was excellent. With only 20 people it quickly got a very intimate feel to it. Beautiful speeches, many laughs and lots of kissing. Many took advantage of the Swedish tradition to kiss the groom if the bride leaves the room, and vice versa.



When dinner was over most guests accompanied us to our hotel, or more specifically to the hotel's bar and I believe the dancing continued for quite a while after the newly-wed couple had retired to their rooms...













PS More photos will come, we just don't have many photos ourselves of the wedding...

3 comments:

Minna said...

HÃĪrligt!!!!!

Saskia said...

MAZAL TOV!! :)
Wow! you both look beutiful!!

Karin said...

Minna: Ja, riktigt lyckat blev det!

Saskia: Thanks! We did look quite good I think as well - the best compliment I got I think was "..and what a handsome husband you have!" (from one of the girls in the string quartet).